Songs

Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Day in Busan on 6,000 Won

For the past two days we have been in our last city destination, Busan. Located on the southeast corner of South Korea, Busan has an entirely new bucket list of sites to see. We were given a presentation on one specific site, an old fish market that was recently developed with a new 7 story beautifully designed building to house not only the fish market, but many more uses to accent the waterfront. We ventured to the fish market where I tried my first taste of red snapper, a fish that had been alive only 10 minutes before we ate it, it was quite an experience.

We spent the rest of the day parousing through the open air market next to fish market, you could get lost in there for hours. Now feeling comfortable using public transit in South Korea, we navigated our way back to our hostel. But as one of the Interior Design students said, "I think they spelled hotel wrong", our hostel was quite a comfortable stay for the few nights we were here, equipped with even a driving range (even though we had trouble asking about rental clubs). As my title says, by the end of my time here I found that I only had 6000 Won (6 dollars) left and I was reluctant to take out any more money while I was here, so I resolved to make it through my last day with only my last bit of cash. I can now say that I survived on 6,000 won for a day in Busan, quite impressive if you ask me.

We decided to take our 2nd day here to relax and just spend time at the beach. I spent the night packing my bags to make sure that I am ready for what awaits me tomorrow, Shanghai and the 2010 World Expo. I cannot believe that it is already time for us to leave South Korea, it has even begun to feel like a home away from home to me, maybe its their wonderful cities that have something interesting everywhere you look, maybe its the beautiful rural landscape and breathtaking views the country has to offer, or maybe its just the people and their kind attitude towards all. Whatever it may be, South Korea has been an incredible first half to my study abroad, and I am anxious to see what else is in store. I will not be able to post once I arrive in China tomorrow, but look forward to a wrap up on the 2010 World Expo once I get to Japan!

1 comment:

  1. 1. FIRST COMMENT! WOOO!
    2. You, if anyone, could survive on 6000 won
    3. I love reading all of your posts (even though they make me wish I could go to Asia even MORE) and I can't wait to read about China and Japan!

    ReplyDelete